New Post for Women
Last night 3 people commented on how long my hair was. Great, these are the big strides towards progress and personal development that I am making. Really I don't even think I should think of it as progress, it was just a comment...no weight given in either direction.
Time to make direction, to do something. Sure I started a High School Bike Club...with a bunch of potentially political latino boys who want to call their group 'revolution bikes' and have Che Grevera as the badge on their head tubes.
When I ask them what the red 5 point star represents they shrug and say they want it as part of their logo.
The point of this post is I want to start doing work for myself...revolution for something...or direction or whatever. Do more than not cut my hair and hang out for free with high school 17 year olds. I have noticed this uncertainty and hesitation among many of my friends. We've graduated from school or maybe we're about to but we don't know what we want to do. There's a big feeling that we 'can do anything we put our mind to' which is even more debilitating because with all the power we imagine we weild we are unable to make any decisions...what do we want to do? I think this is worse for women because we don't have role models...who's big and powerful and revolutionary that I want to be like? Nino Rota, Che, Godard, Chomsky, Dylan, Oscar Watson, Wes Anderson, Sheldon Brown, Mao, the list of imaginary revolutionaries goes on.
I propose a CONFERENCE
LOCATION: We'll meet in a 'some-what' secluded and spiritual place; either a bed and breakfast in Arizona/New Mexico or a rather isolated part of Haiti...possibly Croatia. It depends on how much time participants can take off of their jobs at cafes and americorp.
DATES: ASAP (5 days...2.5 days of work followed 2.5 of relaxation)
PARTICIPANTS: People who have fiddled with higher education and it has failed them. People who feel like they could achieve a lot and are disappointed in themselves for actually doing nothing and having NO IDEA how to get anything of importance done or even conceptualize such an endeavored....something they thought college would train them for.
23-28 years old. Everyone under 23 has not had enough time to truely suffer in this stagnant state. Those over 28 have suffered too long and have surely given up any concept of a greater good or personal happiness. Women. Just to discriminate further and facilitate ease of conversation. To build some sort of coalition. It helps if you've spent at least a year and a half as an intern or working for some ridiculously low amount of money.
AGENDA: 1. Brain storm---30 crazy things we could put our energy into.
2. Cut it down---pick top 10
3. Choose one each
4. Resources--inventory of what we have and what we need to get it done (using each other also as potential resources)
5. Plans--- in the communist style create 2 year and 5 year plans for achievement.
6. Go on vacation because all the hard work of actually making an uninformed decision is over.
SPEAKERS: Women who have found happiness becoming potters or have moved to Cuba or Angola and are powerful community leaders there...actually garnishing respect. All speakers will either encourage us to leave the U.S. or to give up hope and join some sort of community where we barter and trade instead of depending on a cash currency and sexism to bring us happiness.
possible plans of action
1. teach for americorp
2. LA make movies that kick everyones ass, both in terms of artistic never thought of before, and themes from a female perspective...barely ever done
3. Kill ira glass and create a radio empire in his wake
4. Run for alderman--win--abolish all cars and parking spots in my ward
5. South of france---do the tour da france year after year--it will require all my life energy, but hey I'll be a ground breaking woman
6. Architect--design buildings that are awesome with glass and plants...I have no idea what this means---feel good about myself
7. Fabrication---make some sort of bike part etc and sell it...best in the market
8. Fabrication---design fabrics and wall paper--new materials focus, wave of the future
9. Sail boats--homage to my uncle edward---live on a boat--be forever tan and alone-occasionally take interns who we train in our completely revolutionary way of thinking and incredible survival skills.
please feel free to add to the list