Thursday, March 24, 2011

sardines

"GOOD NEWS: you can get 40% of your daily vitamin D by eating an entire can of sardines."
--bon appetite magazine
1. who eats an entire can of sardines in a sitting?
2.40%?!? that's literally not even half of anything.
3. they're staring at me.
4. When I think of Vitamin D fans I think of the doctor with orange skin who gets shots of 2,000% of your daily vitamin d in his ass everyday. Will a can of
sardines bring me closer or further away from this media maven?
5. love how we forget that 15 min of sunshine gets us our vitaminD. It's like forgetting that kids with ADD don't have to take Eli Lily Drugs if they just run around everyday.


1 Comments:

Anonymous Ilana Percher said...

Hey, I'm with Bon Appetite, here. I can't let this slide, I really like sardines. I like sardines the way you can actually buy them: in a can, packed in, with no heads. (Where did you get that image from? Bogus.) I suspect that you just don't like sardines, and that's the underlying premise of this post.

Unsurprisingly, I eat my cans of sardines all in one sitting. Do you prefer to put your half-finished can of sardines in the fridge?

While I don't eat sardines to chase any vitamin D or fatty acids or any other particular nutrient, it's obvious that they are very nutritious. They make me feel good. They especially make me feel good during the three seasons of the year when I am so busy that I have trouble preparing fresh food, and these seasons happen to be the ones when my skin has almost no access to the sun.

Sunlight filtered through windows does not provide any vitamin D. Every time I went outside for the last several months, I was covered from head to toe, except maybe for the bottom half of my face. This was mostly because I commute by bike, so I wore goggles and minimized my skin's exposure to frigid air. I got a minimum of 15 minutes of sun exposure every day during my 15-minute commute, but that was only on my nose and cheeks. The truth is I feel very tired as the cold winters stretch on, and I'm perfectly willing to believe that vitamin D had something to do with it.

Anyway, my point is that some of us haven't forgotten the sun, but we still need to take what we can get, where we can get it. Don't hate!

(Note how eager I am to defend the merits of sardines, rather than the merits of my summer research plan?! That's what I got on this computer to write about tonight, ha ha ha.)

Ilana

12:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home