Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Chicago Weeps...?


I feel like all my friends and family who don't live in Chicago
1. consider it my loss that the Bears lost so horribly Sunday
2. think everyone in Chicago is depressed because we lost
3. the cold weather (high of 2 degrees) is just a shame considering all we've been through.

I will now take a moment to clear up these misconceptions.

1. I am sad and bitter about the Bears embarrassment at superbowl #41...but at exactly the same time I'm really happy about it. Why? Because it proves that my ESP is beginning to mature. About 8 minutes into the game, when the Bears were kicking ass, I predicted they would loose. I told everyone the first touch down was a curse, because now the Bears would think they'd already won, and the Colts would work even harder because they were getting beaten from the get-go. I was right.
I felt like counselor Diena Troy...the most beautiful woman on StarTrek Next Generation.

2. Everyone in my office had switched to the very classy turtleneck and Bears sweatshirt for the past 2 weeks. Some women have even been wearing special earrings. And I've over heard gossip about the innovations that some have found with orange scarves tied around their waists, etc...maybe I'm blind, but accessories seemed to be the extent of Chicago enthusiasm; making Sunday more of a reason to stop wearing orange than anything else.

The only people who really talk about it are the business men I know who I don't think really watch football, but feel like they should be able to small talk about it...like my boss, who is not naturally a sociable person, he will go up to people he is asking favors of and in trying to make himself seem like less of a cold stone he'll say something like, "did you watch the superbowl?" The other person says yes, then he says, "pretty sad hu?...but those first 10 minutes...those were great". Stupid line, capt'n obvious, okay...we get it, you watched the superbowl and you are pretending to have feelings. Those of us who really do have feelings are heart broken and don't want to talk about it....it is like your friend just got divorced and you say to them "man that sucks, your life is pretty fucked up right now...but man you seemed really happy those first 7 and a half months"

3. Everyone in chicago is happy that is it cold. We can't win a superbowl, but at least we can handle ourselves well on a day where the high is 2 degrees. Everyone in the office just talks about how cold it is... and how they walked through it. How many people have I told that I biked to work and my thumbs are frost bitten with a smile on my burned red face? 41 (one for each year of the superbowl's glorious history that has eluded my fair city)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home