Wednesday, January 24, 2007



Man oh man...I think I know what you mean...why does the Holocaust always seem to pop up? I got into a fight with a boy at the bike shop last night about israel/palestine because I introduced myself as Sarah; one reference led to another and then I find myself going from wife of Abraham to Moses and Ishmael...and I'm like FUCK how did I get here? and why am I fighting and offended when certain things are said about Israel?

It turned out the boy I was arguing with's mom was born Jewish and then converted hardcore into christianity and i realize that the fight he and i were making was with our parents and the idea of inheritance... the struggle with understanding how much of who we are is a result of our parents, our genes or history because the older you get the harder it is to believe we're each a special snowflake. Neither one of us would call ourselves christian or jewish even though we both grew up with Christmas presents and at the same time we could get a free trip with birth-right-israel to go and eat falafel and see the wailing wall.

When we talked about Palestine he and I were fighting about how we wanted our parents to fit into our lives, how much control we could have as much as much as we were fighting about God and political lines...because in truth I don't know much about the latter 2.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're complaining about your parents? how do you think ishmael and isaac feel. talk about a deadbeat daddy!

2:53 PM  
Blogger sarah said...

I don't think we were complaining about our parents, just fighting the idea of being their clones...and at the sametime wanting to inherit from them.

7:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home