Wednesday, August 16, 2006


I recently bought a pack of cigarettes and have met with much outside resistance. While it seems generally accepted for some people to smoke cigarettes...it isn't like crack, where you find out a new friend does it and then have second thoughts about continuing to hang out with said addict. Several non-smokers remain friends with people who smoke.

Being friends with someone who is about to start smoking is a little bit more objectionable. People feel they can weigh in on the subject and tell the new smoker: they're stupid to start; cigarettes are filthy; I think you burned your hair trying to light that cigarette; you smell disgusting; you look like a fool, etc.

My body has also objected. Historically I've had weak lungs, childhood asthma, bi-annual bouts with bronchitis, and most recently 5 days in a hospital for a collapsed lung. Aside from lungs I feel my normally low blood pressure rising.

I put cigarettes up there with pleasureable activities like drinking coffee, eating something with frosting, doing yoga, or drinking whiskey. Smoking is pleasurable, relaxing and makes me feel light headed. I guess I will quite.

pall mall's slogan: "wherever particular people congregate" since 1899

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

switch to cigars or a pipe you'll get mouth cancer instead of lung cancer. who doesn't love a girl with a pipe?

9:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I almost started too this summer. Man, it's a rough decision. Still is.

7:00 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

I want to start, but don't have the money.

3:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home