Wednesday, May 24, 2006

So, How Was That Date You ask?

Just like a bike crashing with an SUV, I recently lived through another cliche. As a waitress there were a couple of dudes that were regulars and would be 'really nice' to me (smile, leave a big tip, etc). I told one of them it was my last week. He took a long time to leave and then came up to me and asked me, "excuse me, I was wondering if I could have your number" (imagine it in a British accent).
Me: I was wondering when you were going to ask (so sassy)

He calls: Hello, this is Kevin
Me: Kevin who? (having no idea)
He: Kevin from the restaurant, I realize that I didn't even have time to tell you my name then. I was wondering if you wanted to have dinner with me.
Me: Sure
He: When would be good for you?
Me: Tuesday
He: Great
Me: Yeah, see you Tuesday. click

I've been so curt and kind of rude to him it is ridiculous, that he doesn't mind. I think he thinks it is cute, or just accepts it as the way I am. Whenever we hang out I'm always dirty. and I don't mean the usual I-have-n't-washed-my-hair, I have black stripes of bike grease all over me because of my work (and the fact that I love being dirty). He works in a lab where his number one priority is cleanliness and then good ways to kill mice.

He is as excited about his work researching pancreatic cancer as I am about bikes and bike safety. He thinks I'm a freak because I'm all about bicycles, and I get nervous when he talks about his work because he actually starts to smile and talk fast. Exactly how does he talk you might ask? I wasn't quite sure, so I gave the timid guess "so, you're not from Chicago?" He laughed, no London, can't you tell? He does have an English accent but it is kind of weird because he spent a lot of time growing up in Omaha, NE. So he is kind of a snotty British man, and at the same time a weird kid who grew up in Omaha.

The most interesting thing is that he has spent the past few years living in a half way house. He's an alcoholic in AA. Evidently he was way out of control, lost everything (money, job, friends, his family wouldn't even talk to him). When I asked him if you have to believe in God for AA he said, "no, AA can be your higher power. " "Does my alcohol problem make you nervous Sarah?"
Me: no (thinking about my mom, and how any white guy who persues me inevitably has some sort of disorder. It isn't that I think I'm better than the bi-polars and alcoholics, I just wonder when disorder my will surface, there must be a reason they pick me, takes one to know one?)

He likes my jokes so I tell more jokes.

4 Comments:

Blogger sarah said...

Everyone keeps asking how the date went, do I really like him? Will I see him again? It seems my writing is unclear. The truth is it is unclear because I am unclear about how I feel. The whole thing is kind of creepy kind of not creepy, cool and notcool. AAhhhhh.

9:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't do it girl! he seems like trouble!!

12:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say briefly: Best! Useful information. Good job guys.
»

12:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»

1:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home